Did you catch our recap from 2016? If not, click here!
This year we're going to switch it up a little bit and post a daily blog update highlighting the news of the day as best we can!
Now, down to business!
Last year was my first Cisco Live and I learned a lot. I'd like to provide a top 5 tips for Cisco Live from my perspective.
- Dress comfortably
- Many of us tend to want to dress a little better during our daily business lives, but Las Vegas, NV in the summer and Cisco Live (where you'll walk miles a day) isn't the best place for that! Wear jeans, shorts, polo, whatever you're comfortable with. Trust me, others will be dressed the same and you're in good company! Trust me, if we can pull this off, you're good!
- Wear appropriate shoes
- I broke this out from dress comfortably because I had a luggage malfunction with the airlines and wore sandals on the plane. Due to that, I was stuck with sandals for almost 24 hours and let me tell you, it was NOT pleasant! As stated, you will end up walking many miles throughout the few days you're out at Cisco Live between sessions, keynotes, events after hours, and more. Don't get blisters due to poor planning; like I did in 2016. Speaking of all the traveling, I think the infamous Dino will be showing up again this year in my twitter feed.
- Sessions are great... but don't skip World of Solutions
- I booked my entire calendar full in 2016. As it was my first Cisco Live, I figured the sessions were where it was at. Unfortunately, I ended up leaving some sessions due to knowing some of the content already. I found myself 70% enthralled with sessions and 30% yearning. I spent only a few hours between the week at World of Solutions and I promise you, you could spend at least two days entrenched at the exhibits and learn so much. Plus, if you're like me with a son who loves gadgets, you can get some cool schwag; like this sword from Plixer.
- Don't be shy, attend the networking events
- Last year I found myself surrounded by so many veterans of Cisco Live and overwhelmed by the amount of content. I should have networked more. Instead, I found myself being herded like cattle to each new session or event and forewent the social gathering at World of Solutions and many other events. This year I am showing up a little later than I would like to on Sunday and missing out on all the great pre-Cisco Live meet ups, but don't be like me, go join them!
- Give back to the community as well while you're out there. You never know who you'll meet while participating in the event and what you can learn about yourself along the way. Here we are participating in 'helping stop hunger.'
- Keynotes are gems
- The opening keynote last year was downright amazing. The acrobats, the style, the ambiance... just breathtaking. It was like a party with thousands of close friends. Chuck Robbins is sure to announce some astounding direction for Cisco's FY'18 which should bode well for the community. Kevin Spacey closed the week as Frank Underwood from House of Cards last year... and let me tell you, I was giddy with excitement. This year should be great with the speakers on tap for the keynotes from our industry. I, as well as many colleagues, are very excited for Bryan Cranston's closing keynote!
Be sure to follow me on twitter and if you're out at Cisco Live, message me and let's connect! Stay tuned to @WithRove for updates on our blogs throughout the week.
Paul Campbell - Practice Lead, Software Defined Architectures